You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Legend: Legacy of the Dragons Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 1:18pm

A hypothetical situation

A hypothetical Situation.

I have designed a new cruiser and 5 were made identical, 4 to be delivered at a later delivery date. As per my original blue print there were some issues as listed below.
1) some of the switches we missing from some rooms
2) some of the wiring was totally off the mark
a. eg the some switches were operating appliances and lights in totally different decks and rooms.

3) Some of the hygiene systems were simply dumping the raw waste out to sea
4) At certain times of the day the redistribution of the passenger increased the role of the cruiser.

Basically to save time on testing I was taken onboard to trouble shoot anything that came up. Well as u can guess many things were not running so smoothly. As much as I wanted to sail back into port and re-launch once everything was resolved, the financiers were determined that the show must go on and having me as part of the crew was to ensure we did not have to stop the cruise and we can sort out the problems at sea.

However the other 4 ships were delivered in the original condition with all of the above still wrong with them, their crew had the same restrictions as I did (the show must go on, no sailing back to port to fix anything, fix everything asap at sea).

I guess I could have sent the corrected blue prints stating all and how to fix the problems to save time and effort, or i could have had the issues resolved before deliver but I’m not sure why I didn’t do either. To add to the difficulty the Captain, crew and the customer liaison mangers were not updated on issues to look out for and basically were instructed to get on with it. To make matters worse even though those cruisers would be entertain completely different passengers with different ideologies, the captain and the crew had to follow an ill fitting business model which had worked very very well for the different market I was targeting.

As the captain what do u do?
As the customer liaison mangers what do u say?

Friday, March 15th 2013, 10:45am

Really bad metaphore about our server.

As a customer - I will sue your ass until the ship is mine - then make it to scrap.
As a captain - I will help the customer in that case - cause working condition to that ship are really bad
and prevent me from doing my job properly.

Hope you got what you looked for Arion.
From all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 6:35am

Simple the boat would never sail with passengers until it has sea trials and all these problems were fixed cause no insurer would ever insure it and would drop that companys business in a rapid fashion

The captain would not sail if above trials were not done its not worth losing his reputation

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 6:51pm

So as a company, the owners sent out 5 ships knowing full well that it's not seaworthy/passenger taking worthy?

They must have iron danglers. <This one could get the post removed>

So this is what i get from the post ---

1) There are some switches which turn the lights on to some other room.
2) Faulty wiring leading to risk of fire of malfunction of critical equipment.
3) Hygiene system dumping waste in sea.
4) Switches missing in some rooms.

It's a cruise. You have rich people on it. rich people like to get their money's worth.
So first of all, the company will get sued to the points of infinity because the richies can.

The company would be under investigation by the proper authority. Their license to send ships out to sea would be under question by the same authorities.

You as the person responsible for the faults will be charged with felony along with your employers because you knowingly let the ship go out to sea when it was obviously not seaworthy, and you as the chief engineer who designed it, is liable to tell your employers that the Cruise should not go on.
Of course you will say the owners forced you to do it, but they are rich and you are the small fish. So you'll be the one crucified for Felony, larceny and voluntary manslaughter (if someone dies during the cruise)

You have pissed off Green Peace for polluting and endangering Ocean flora and fauna. The country whose waters you would have polluted by dumping waste, will sue your company. As usual they will go scot free and you will be charged with destruction of protected environment life.

Unless the company is an idiot, every ship's first engineer and captain will have Absolutely all the details of the ship with them at all times. And since it's 2013, AND it's a cruise, i'm assuming it has a radio over which people can share ideas to solve any emergency situation.

Also, unless the company is an idiot, they will have first rate engineers on board every ship. And usually, faulty wiring and such is not rocket science.

You used a model for another audience which worked on them and applied to people from different ideologies? I don't know who hired you, but if I was the owner, i'd like to see you fired for endangering the lives and/or well-being, health and happiness of my customers, and ensure you never get a job anywhere else.

As a captain, he would work hard to make sure the customers remain happy. (It's not like he/she cares for the ship, since if he/she did, they wouldn't have allowed to put the ship out to sea. It is obvious that they only care about the profit, so that's that.)

The customer Liasion officer would offer full refunds to all the passengers to ensure that their company does not get bad press.

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 6:54pm

I think I missed one critical point, being the fallout from this debacle.

As the person above my post, has so pointedly singled out, the company would have a hard time finding insurers for them.