You are not logged in.

• "SilentWater" started this thread

Tuesday, October 17th 2017, 5:10pm

Help Needed for Research Paper on perception of apparent Discount in E-Commerce

Hey everyone,

So some of you might be knowing that I am doing my Masters in Business Administration. I am in my 2nd and final year here and I have taken on a research paper regarding the perception of apparent discounts in online purchases.

A little background -
My paper aims at observing consumer behaviour and purchase patterns while purchasing items online. You might know that during "Sales", e-commerce companies like Amazon worldwide and Flipkart in India, increase price of certain private label items to 2-3 times their marked price, then slap on an 80-90% discount on them to appeal to consumers. The actual price you are paying remains no more than 2-3% lower than before the apparent discount. A reason why this is done on private labels (i.e. Apparels or items manufactured by the E-Com company itself, so basically they own it)

Now my question here is thus -
If you as consumers, know about the false markup, would you still prefer to buy from that online store?
Is there any resentment against that online company?
Would there be a difference in your thoughts and buying behaviour if there was not a monopoly or duopoly? (Either one of two companies dominating the entire market)

I would love to hear your thoughts about this.

With Regards,
Silent.

• "-Cahal-" has been banned

Tuesday, October 17th 2017, 5:40pm

Off-topic within an off-topic thread, if not interested, you can just skip it:

This kind of reminds me those mathematics questions in hornpub comments section.
It's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. What's even better is to weaponize your words to destroy anyone who dares challenge you.

• "SilentWater" started this thread

Tuesday, October 17th 2017, 6:38pm

Would be so kind as to explain what you meant? My intelligence isn't what it used to be.

Tuesday, October 17th 2017, 7:12pm

Q - If you as consumers, know about the false markup, would you still prefer to buy from that online store?

I am well aware of this false markup, I do still prefer to buy from that online store (aka amazon) due that it's still cheaper and more convenient than a conventional store (have amazon prime thus things get fairly quickly).

Q - Is there any resentment against that online company?

I would be lying if I said I'm cool with them doing that, however it's not to the point where they would lose my trust because of it. Also it is worth noting that the conventional big chains also use this tactic, and sometimes the price is higher after the discount than the original price haha. What amazes me is how people are so gullible that they will just say, "holy fk 80% discount, now it's only 300 dias ?!?!?!?!?! Gotta buy it before the deals ends :love2: " without realizing that there's something wrong (it's just an example, don't get mad at me).

Q - Would there be a difference in your thoughts and buying behaviour if there was not a monopoly or duopoly? (Either one of two companies dominating the entire market)

My thoughts wouldn't really change with competence in the market, I'll still buy from the cheapest and most convenient source, and that doesn't change with prize changes or these guys doing things differently.