You are not logged in.

• "Sequana" started this thread

Monday, May 7th 2018, 1:15pm

Food corner

Hey guys,

I love cooking and I also love to test out new recipes. So I was hoping you would like to share the recipe of your favourite food from your home country with us. Maybe there is more hobby-chefs out there and so we can try new food and share how we did like it.

Here is my favourite food which is ideal if you expect a lot of people round for food. You prepare it all the day before and just have to reheat it on the "big party day" ....

Jools’s favourite beef stew

Ingredients - SERVES 4
1 onion
2 parsnips
½ a butternut squash
1 handful of Jerusalem artichokes , optional
a few sprigs of fresh sage
olive oil
1 knob of unsalted butter
4 carrots
800 g stewing steak or beef skirt , cut into 5cm pieces
plain flour
500 g small potatoes
2 tablespoons tomato purée
½ a bottle of red wine
285 ml organic beef or vegetable stock
1 lemon
a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 clove of garlic

Method
Preheat the oven to 160ºC/300ºF/gas 2.
Peel and roughly chop the onion, peel and quarter the parsnips and peel and halve the carrots. Deseed and roughly dice the squash, and peel and halve the Jerusalem artichokes (if using). Pick the sage leaves.
Heat a little oil and the butter in a casserole pan on a medium heat, add the onion and sage leaves, then fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the meat in a little seasoned flour, then add it to the pan with all the vegetables, the tomato purée, wine and stock, then gently stir together. Season generously with black pepper and just a little sea salt.
Bring to the boil, place a lid on top, then place in the oven until the meat is tender – sometimes this takes 3 hours, sometimes 4 – it depends on what cut of meat you’re using and how fresh it is. The only way to test is to mash up a piece of meat and if it falls apart easily it’s ready.
Once cooked, turn the oven down to about 110°C/225°F/gas ¼ and just hold it there until you’re ready to eat.
The best way to serve this is by ladling big spoonfuls into bowls, accompanied by a glass of French red wine and some really fresh, warmed bread.
Finely grate the lemon zest, pick and finely chop the rosemary and peel and finely chop the garlic, then mix together and sprinkle over the stew before serving. Just the smallest amount will make a world of difference – as soon as it hits the hot stew it will release an amazing fragrance.

Looking forward to your recipes and suggestions :drink:
:!: Guards open their doors for new members. Interested? Please apply here! :!:

Tuesday, May 15th 2018, 7:28am

Sequana, that beef stew sounds delicious. I'll try it this weekend.

This recipe is very precious to me and I use it almost every single morning of my life:

coffee beans
water

Grind beans in grinder.
Put them in a little mesh place.
Put the mesh in the coffee machine.
Make hot water go over the grinds and force the beans to yield their delicious brown release.
Drink it with yourself and hug yourself with your arms the way the coffee hugs your tongue (like a best friend in the whole wide world).

Wednesday, May 16th 2018, 1:43pm

I have been cooking today and I kinda reminded myself of that thread so I even made a picture :D

Probably most already had it before or at least heard about it, simple dish, but so so yummy :P

Polish pancakes aka Crepes:

Ingredients I use:
-1&1/3 cup of milk
-1 cup of flour
-1 egg
-Pinch of salt
(Ingredients can be scaled ofc)
Oh and a bit of oil, I'd say maybe 1-2spoons

Add flour to the bowl. Break egg and add it to the bowl and then add milk and pinch of salt. Mix it all.
After mixing I like to add some oil to the mixture, but it's optional.
Pre-heat your pan and add a bit of oil.
As soon as your pan is hot enough start pouring the mixture with the circular movements of the pan to spread it equally.
Wait till the rim of the crepe starts getting goldish color and than flip it around.

Voilà!

Now use anything you like, nutella, fruits, fruit sauces, whipped cream, jam to fill the crepe!
:pie: :pie: :pie:

Wednesday, June 26th 2019, 12:18am

Chicken fillet - 800 g
Tomatoes - 800 g
White wine - 240 mg
Wine Vinegar - Red 60 mg
Tomato Paste - 60 g
Green onion (aka spring onion or scallion) - 80 g
Olive oil - 40 mg
Butter - 40 g
Capers - 40 g
Olives - 40 g
Tarragon - 20 g
Garlic - 10 g
Mint - 5 g
Salt - taste
Ground black pepper - taste

1. Wash chicken fillet thoroughly under running water. Then dry with paper towels. On each side of the file, rub it with salt and pepper. Pepper is better to take freshly ground, it is much more fragrant than the finished spice.

2. Pour olive oil into the pan, put the piece of butter here and send it to the fire. Give the oils to come together.

3. When the butter is completely melted, put the chicken fillet in the pan. We fry on medium heat, often overturn it on one, then on the other side. So cook for 5 minutes. A light golden blush should appear on the chicken.

4. Shallot peeled, peeled, washed. Chop the onion into small cubes. Garlic is also cleaned, skipped through a press. If desired, you can rub the garlic on a fine grater. Put the garlic and onion to the chicken. Fry for 1-2 minutes.

5. Tomatoes wash under running water, cut out the attachment of the stem. Cut the prepared tomatoes into small cubes. If the tomatoes are dense with hard skin, then it is better to remove. To do this, on each fruit you need to make a cross-cut and scald with boiling water. Then pour with ice water. This procedure will help to quickly remove the skin.

6. Put the sliced ​​tomatoes in the pan, here also add the tomato paste, capers and finely chopped tarragon. Cut the olives into rings, lay them out here.

7. Pour to all ingredients dry white wine and red wine vinegar. Stir.

8. Stirring occasionally, bring the sauce to a boil. Then we cover the pan with a lid and leave the meat to stew for 20-25 minutes.

9. Upon request, before serving, decorate the dish with fresh mint.

Serve on a table with a side dish of rice or potatoes or any other side dish to taste.

P;S: This recipe is google-translated, I hope you can understand it.